Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why?

If somebody had asked me why I wanted to be a paramedic before I started school I really have no clue what my answer would have been. It was during my second week of school that I came across a car accident while driving home. A sedan  had t-boned a school bus. There was minimal damage to the school bus and only the driver on board, but there was extensive intrusion into the drivers footwell of the sedan. The driver of the sedan had no obvious immediate life threats but had limited sensation and movement of her legs with excruciating pain on palpation of her knees. There was very little I could do for her besides insure that other bystanders had called 911, maintain c-spine and reassure the driver.

I am not sure how long after the accident it was but I received and e-mail from the driver thanking me for what I did.

what i really wanted to say was your paramedic students arrived on the scene and showed impeccable skill as well as calmness with themselves and myself. As soon as they told me they were paramedic students at **** i felt so much relief and I wanted to tell you and the staff was an amazing job they did for me. they kept me calm, held my neck straight till a collar came and just basically talked me through a very stressful, traumatic situation and perhaps need an honorable mention for their bravery and skill............  I'm not sure of their names they told me but i can't remember now.....

That e-mail right there is exactly why I want to be a medic. I didn't do anything special, all I did was talk but I made a difference. Again, I know I made the right choice leaving university.

No comments:

Post a Comment